Our Epsom Honor Roll is located in our multi purpose room. You’ve each been allocated a soldier to research using The Australian War Memorial site and The National Archives of Australia. We want as much information as possible to paint a picture of life 100 years ago in Epsom and Bendigo using what we find from Epsom Soldiers.
Thanks to Mr Tony Millar for showing us that this is possible. His presentation was on Leslie Williams from Castlemaine PS and the information he found out was incredible. We left feeling like we knew this amazing man from 100 years ago.
Don’t forget, every little piece of information you find is a piece of the puzzle. Mrs Bruns, Mr Millar, Mr Lavars and I are so excited to find out what you find about our dear soldiers of Epsom.
* Locate as much information using the suggested web sites.
* Record your findings – scrap book, story writing book, blog, emails to yourself.
* Try and locate photos, siblings and family.
* Research the information further by providing detailed accounts . eg your soldier’s occupation may have been an ironmonger. What’s an ironmonger? Find out! Where did they serve? Use a map to show which country and where.
* Send an email to Mr Millar or Mr Lavars letting them know how you are going. They may be able to give you some suggestions as to “what next”.
PRESENTATION: Write a biography on your soldier. Present it how ever you like, using any apps or programs that may suit. It must be presented on your blog eventually.
BE PATIENT, BE THOROUGH and enjoy bringing your soldier from just a name on the honor board to someone you have got to know more personally.