Starting point: ABC Splash – Colonial Australia
Daily life of convicts
- What was life like for a typical convict?
- Where there differences between one colony and another?
- What were the differences between the life of male, female and child convicts?
- Are there any famous convicts? What did they do?
Daily life of colonists
- What was life like for a typical colonist?
- What were the reasons for colonising certain locations?
- What were the differences between the life of male, female and child colonists?
- Are there any famous colonists? What did they do? How are their achievements recognised today?
How the colonists changed/used the environment
- In what ways did the environment help the colonists?
- In what was did the environment harm the colonists?
- In what ways did the colonists change the environment (farming techniques and development)
- How does the use of the environment compare between colonists and Indigenous people.
Interactions between Colonists and Indigenous people
- What conflicts occurred between Colonists and Indigenous people?
- What deals were made between Colonists and Indigenous people?
- Are there any famous stories about conflicts/colonists and Indigenous people?
A specific colony
- Find a specific colony and describe the effects it has had on shaping Australia (why it was built, stories and changes over time, how it is now)
- Retell and investigate how an event had an effect on a colony (a battle, a law change etc..)
People from other continents
- Why did people come here from Asia and mainland Europe?
- What positive things occurred because of their arrival?
- What negative things occurred because of their arrival?
- What similarities and differences were between them, the British colonists and Indigenous.
- Find out how a person or how an event significantly changed a colony
- Was this a good or bad change?
- How did they do it?
- What happened as a result of their actions?